Sister Missionary, Toddler Bed, Nesting

Monday, May 27, 2013

Things around here are just starting to slow down.
We sent my little sister off to be a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.


For 18 months, she will be preaching the gospel to people in the Houston, Texas Mission. We went to Boise to hear her give two (count them) farewell talks both of which showed her power as a confident child of God. She wants so badly to help people find true and eternal happiness and I know she will be able to teach the people who are looking for it.
I am going to miss her so much (already wrote her 2 letters) and it's crazy to think that Georgia will be 3 when she gets back and that this little baby will be about Georgia's age. I mean, that's bananas.
I love my sister so much. She is better than I am and I admire her deeply. She is an amazing person and therefore a pretty amazing missionary.


Last week my parents drove down to drop her off at the Missionary Training Center where everyone was desperately trying to hold it together. My sister is kind of a crier, and my mom was one step away from being a complete mess, but they held it back for the other. It looked like their final farewells gift to the other.

My dad held it together until we went and got ice cream (something he was very insistent about). He teared up in line and got a huge double scoop waffle cone and a doughnut the size of his head. I've never seen my green-smoothie dad eat his emotions, but he sure did that day.


News on the home front is kind of unexciting. We switched Georgia to a toddler bed on a whim and now she wakes up at the crack of dawn. I know that this is somewhat boring information, but I feel like our lives revolve around Georgia's mornings. Do you understand how long a 14 hour day is with a 23 month old when you're 31 weeks pregnant? It is not fun. Especially when we're coming off of our vacation/visitors high. Here's praying things get back to normal soon... and that the black-out curtains do their job.

In the meantime, we bought her a small doll crib (per Scott's suggestion. He decided it was a need after he saw Georgia put a baby doll to bed in an umbrella). She has since put babies "nigh-night" all day, everyday. I can't tell you how many times I have swaddled babies for her.


Today we used an old Applebee's gift card to go out to dinner. We ordered drinks (two waters and an apple juice) and when we were done, Georgia looked at the waitress square in the eye and said: "And I wan' shnashna wa-wa." For reals you guys, she ordered herself a water. I don't know what "kind" since that was unintelligible but there was no doubting that she knew what she wanted and knew who to tell to give it to her. It blew my mind. It also made me think that maybe we go out to eat too much (we don't).

I am in serious nesting mode over here and it's driving everyone, myself included, bonkers. I want everything clean alltheallthe time and I want to throw away everything because I don't feel like we have any room for an additional person in this apartment. This is not a good because A.) We're not going to be here forever and I probably shouldn't throw stuff away in case I regret it when we actually get a garage or something and B.) cleaning and organizing this much means that Miss G is plugged into Finding Nemo with a bowl of popcorn and ignored. If I could just have her go play somewhere for one day, I could get so much done. But alas, second pregnancy plights. I'll live.

Thanks for indulging me in this little post. It feels nice to get a few things written down, and if I don't feel like I can do that here, then where? As a reward for getting through all of this, let me tell you that I am giving away a 3 month tote bag subscription over at Miss Indie, so you should go and enter :)

Happy Memorial Day!

1 comment:

  1. If I lived by you, I would take Georgia for the WHOLE DAY and let you clean and organize to your heart's desire!

    Also, Georgia ordering a "shnashna wa-wa" is the awesomest thing ever. I also really want to know what kind of water she meant.

    ReplyDelete

I like to hear all of the beautiful things you have to say.