Sunday Reflections: The Hard Makes It Great

Sunday, March 13, 2011

(For those of you new to my blog here, welcome! As a disclaimer, I do a weekly feature here where I post something that inspired me this week. Usually, it is something religious. I am a Christian woman who finds that in seeking happiness, it can always be found in Jesus Christ. You are welcome to take part in this weekly feature, but if it is not your thing you can always come back on Mondays).

I love the movie A League of Their Own (who doesn't?), and have a favorite quote that comes to mind again and again as I watch the disaster footage of Japan. It's when Geena Davis decides to quit baseball right before the final game, and Tom Hanks asks her why she's quitting. Eventually, she admits that "It just got too hard!"
To which Tom Hanks responds:

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. It's the hard that makes it great."


I love the above video, because I can't tell you how many times I have fallen to my knees and given my Father in heaven the FYI that I am having a hard time. But each time I do that, I feel the comfort of His spirit and a resounding: "Yes, I know how that feels." Each time I bring God into my hardships, I feel them lighter. I remember that no great person has ever gone through an incredibly easy life. The Savior Himself had to walk through Gethsemane, suffer the sins of the world, and be crucified.

But through hardest event known to mankind, the greatest act of service was performed.

I think about every time a natural disaster happens and how through the tragedy, there are always stories of hope, comfort, and service. None of us are free from hardships, and this is something we should be grateful for as this is when we can usually see God's hand the clearest.

To the people in Japan: This is hard. But you are great, and we all nod to you at this time.

1 comment:

  1. great talk. it always seems more emotional with the music. too bad they can't set music to their talks during conference ;)

    ReplyDelete

I like to hear all of the beautiful things you have to say.