Surprise Baby (Mom) Shower

Sunday, June 23, 2013

So my best friend called me a few weeks ago and said she wanted to have a little date with me on Saturday. Said that it was a surprise, but that we were going to go to a "festival" and that it was going to be a little bit of a drive from her house. I had no reason to not believe this.

You can imagine my shock then, when I walked into her home and found a surprise baby shower in my honor! I had some family and friends waiting for my arrival and I felt so special. I was even more surprised to see the elaborate little party that Anna had put together. Everything seemed to be spa/relaxation themed and so stinking perfect.
This face mask cheese ball made by Kenzi was a HIT. It cracked me up


In every detail, I could see Anna's thought process and how she tried to make the whole thing personalized to me. From the freshly squeezed orange juice, to the whole tomatoes on a vine (my favorite snack-I like to eat them like apples) to the funky bamboo forks. Even the background of vines she pulled out of her backyard and hung on the wall! So much thoughtfulness. So much time and effort.


 Anna explained that since this is my second kid (and second girl, due around the same time of year my first girl was born), I am not in need of a lot of stuff. She said that a pregnant mom should still be pampered though, and that this shower was to celebrate ME. It felt like a surprise birthday party that I didn't deserve!

To get the party started, she handed me a beautiful box and inside was a gift card to a spa for a WHOLE SPA DAY. Like, massage, pedicure, manicure, facial. This is something that I had put on my life goal list to do thinking that I would someday do it when I was retired and rich. I was blown away by the generosity of friends and family who pitched in to get me such a thoughtful and extravagant gift. I could just cry thinking about it.

Later, we all grabbed some of the delicious food and those of us that wanted to soaked our feet in some lavender foot baths while we ate. Anna MADE a couple of foot scrubs (lemon and strawberry) and you topped off your treatment with a mud mask and lotion. She also made little lavender epsom salt party favors for everyone to take home.



I opened the rest of my gifts which were all for pampering myself and felt overwhelmingly grateful all over again. What thoughtful friends and family I have!


Anna had asked a yoga instructor to come by so after we had all visited and ate we went into the (magical) backyard and had a private mini yoga class.




There were modified poses and  hip openers for me. While I was a bit distracted by everyone around I was still able to feel... I don't know? Zen? Anyway, when I looked up I had this view:


You see?

The instructor was super nice (and freaking beautiful) and stayed a little after we finished the session to teach anyone who wanted to learn how to do a headstand. They were all pretty proud of themselves after ;)


After everyone headed home I stayed on Anna's couch and gushed/bragged to my mom and Scott (both of whom were in on the whole thing and anxious to hear how it all went) about how wonderful it was. Scott encouraged me to take the rest of the day to do what I wanted. Anna put her daughter down for a nap and so we decided to take advantage of the no-kids time.

We weren't exactly sure what to do but ended up hitting Sonic happy hour (I know, right after yoga. Whatever), Hobby Lobby and a local boutique where we shared a dressing room and I bought a couple of shirts. Could I have asked for a better afternoon with my best friend? I don't think so.


Thank you, sweet Anna, for another wonderful day :)

4 comments:

  1. You deserve it. What a lovely party anna! So classy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect party! SO thoughtful. And Alyssa's right. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto Alyssa. You were not undeserving, and Anna is such a true friend. What a blessing you are to eachother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do I get Anna to be MY friend? ;) I LOVE the cheesball oh my goodness!!! Makes me want to do a spa day with my friends! SO FUN!

    ReplyDelete

I like to hear all of the beautiful things you have to say.