#UtahGrad

Thursday, May 2, 2013


Today, I attended the University of Utah's 2013 commencement ceremony. Scott was in cap and gown somewhere in the midst of people in caps and gowns. I went alone (family is going to the convocation ceremony tomorrow), and I found it surprisingly difficult to find a place to sit just for one. Once I did sit down, no one sat around me- they probably assumed I was saving seats. I delighted in how incredibly different U of U's ceremony felt from BYU-Idaho's. There was a laid back, yet very excited energy.

These last two weeks have been rough on our little family. We have all been a bit stressed. So when they played Pomp and Circumstance, I lost it. LOST IT. All of the stress, all of the nagging, all of the missed buses, was suddenly so worth it. All of the times I fell asleep on the couch because the light of the computer kept me up as Scott did homework late into the night. The times we didn't see him for days because he went to work, to school, to print tote bags, to homework. All of it, worth it.

And I am so proud of him. Beyond proud. I don't even know how to describe it.

Sometimes, we laugh when we read Facebook status that say something like: "So proud of my hubby who graduated with his Master's in 1 year, got straight A's, worked full time, has 2 kids and STILL serves as the Bishop in our ward!" We know people like this exist, we just don't know how, and it makes us smirk a little.

Scott may not have started an NGO or graduated in the top 1% of his class. But Scott... he doesn't wear out. He doesn't mentally check out of school. He just keeps going. I don't think I have ever seen him skip a class because he didn't "feel like" going (something I was really good at doing in college). I've never seen him even consider taking a semester off, even when being the sole provider for our family and attending school full-time got really stressful. Never once. Giving up just isn't an option for Scott.

In the car on the way home, this song came on:


And Scott looked over at me and said: "We didn't give up, Carrie."
To which I replied: "ON AVERAGE, I didn't give up. There were days that I gave up, but overall we didn't."

My husband though?
He never had those days.
I could not be more proud to be married to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like to hear all of the beautiful things you have to say.