Georgia's New Best Friend

Thursday, September 8, 2011


My daughter wants to make eye contact with someone at all times. The other day, I was riding in the back seat with her, but I wasn't looking at her so she screamed until I did. I've tested this theory. It's true.

I like to take Georgie girl shopping for this reason. I can prop her car seat up in the cart, and she can stare at me all day long. She gets the attention she's seeking, and I get a break from holding her in my arms all day.

But her constant need to be looked at has me concerned since we're going on a 5 hour road trip tomorrow... just the two of us. Will she scream the entire time because no one is there to talk to her. I decide I need a mirror to put in the back seat so I can keep an eye on her.

Of course, finding a mirror like this on such short notice (and one that is made for my car) seemed impossible. But I found a small monkey mirror thing at a used kids store. It didn't work for my car, but Georgia acted like she liked it so I forked over the $4.25. When I put her in the car, I secured the mirror in front of her and hopped in the driver's seat.

While I was driving, I started to hear a familiar cooing behind me. And the sound of little feet kicking. Georgia was smiling and chatting away with her new best friend- her reflection.

I can just see her talking about it with other babies:

"Yeah, my best friend rides in the car with me. She is just ADORABLE and we really 'get' each other you know? It's the funniest thing, too- we always wear the same thing and we don't even PLAN it!"

4 comments:

  1. it's almost like Anne Shirley's Katie. :) <3 it to bits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if i were that beautiful i'd want to stare at myself too! she's too too pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can imagine her talking to the mirror, "SOMEONE RELATE TO ME!" (probably the most-repeated joke of our friendship, but also the most commonly relevant and hilarious)

    ReplyDelete

I like to hear all of the beautiful things you have to say.