Vegan Log: Week 4

Friday, October 29, 2010

We're almost there, folks. 3 more days and I'll have been a vegan for 30 days. This last week was not SO much full of realizations than it was of questions of the future.

What am I going to do come November 1st?!

Here's my plan:

I don't think I'm going to have any more "dairy dishes" if I can help it. Eggs and bacon in the morning just doesn't sound good to me anymore. I'll try to stay away from dairy, but I'm looking forward to not reading the back of labels like an obsessed lunatic. This last week, I asked the lady at Subway if she could check and see if there was dairy in their bread. There was nonfat milk. I think come November 1st, I'm going to eat that bread anyway.

I read something that said true veganism is not about obsessing over ingredients, but about being generally compassionate and generally not eating meat or dairy. I think this is what I'm going to follow.

The only problem is that my cravings for sushi have not gone away. You can only have a California roll so many times before you're dying for some fish :)

I feel like I learned a lot about my body and my spirit through this experiment. I am more aware of the earth around me and take my body more seriously.

I also learned that IT IS POSSIBLE to not eat ANY dairy or meat. Not only can you survive, but you can thrive. My food options have opened up above and beyond anything I previously thought.

And most of all I learned that veganism is NOT about just what you eat. But how you live.

1 comment:

  1. I'm super proud of you! What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete

I like to hear all of the beautiful things you have to say.