This book changed the way I looked at dating and relationships forever. I was lucky enough to have read it at 18, so my waiting-by-the-phone-days were shorter than most women's. This book is truthful, a little hurtful at first, and in the end, totally empowering.
I couldn't help but scribble my thoughts in the margins as I read.
I loaned it to EVERYONE. If I had a friend making ANY excuse for a stupid guy's behavior, I handed her this book. And you know what? Most women couldn't help but write in the margins as well.
I loved this book more than anything because it had torn pages, and it was full of advice from several women whose hands it had been through. Multi-colored pages from multi-highlighters made you feel like you weren't alone.
However, some women find it hard to accept that not every man on the face of the earth loves them. And others want love so badly that they will ignore ALL signals and LIE to themselves so their insecurity doesn't take over. These women get mad at me for offering it. These women give me the book back unmarked. Usually they didn't get past the first two chapters.**
A girl at work was talking to me about how she was dating a guy that "only sometimes" cheats on her. He has family issues, it's not his fault, yadda, yadda, yadda. I told her she could borrow my precious book.
She got fired the next day. I never saw my book again.
That was 3 years ago.
I went to a local thrift store yesterday and was looking at the books and saw a hardback He's just Not That Into You. I figured, I might as well start another one. I opened the pages and WHAT. DO. YOU. KNOW?
It was my EXACT copy! I know because it was MY handwriting! The corner pages were ripped at the top from when I was eating ice cream after a bad date and couldn't flip the page without passion! THIS WAS MY BOOK!
I had to pay a dollar for it.
There were no new markings in it. I would have recognized them. I guess my ex-co-worker never got the clue. She's probably still dating loser man. He probably cheated on her (again) and when God gave her the hot pink sign on the cover of this book she tossed it into her giveaway pile. Sad.
But at least I got my book back.
**Thought I'd share the chapter headings since those alone can change your life:
1. He's Just Not That Into You if He's Not Asking You Out
2. He's Just Not That Into You if He's Not Calling You
3. He's Just Not That Into You if He's Not Dating You
4. He's Just Not That Into You if He's Not Having Sex With You
5. He's Just Not That Into You if He's Having Sex With Someone Else
6. He's Just Not That Into You if He Only Wants to See You When You're Drunk
7. He's Just Not That Into You if He Doesn't Want to Marry You
8. He's Just Not That Into You if He's Breaking up With You
9. He's Just Not That Into You if He's Disappeared on You
10. He's Just Not That Into You if He's Married
11. He's Just Not That Into You if He's a Selfish Jerk, a Bully, or Really Big Freak.